Welcome to the What Did You Read This Month? Book Review Link-y, a monthly sharing link-up for books! Books of all kinds, romance, suspense, DIY, and my personal favorite, cookbooks! Personally I couldn't be happier that books are once again, back in fashion!
And a great way to keep them front and center is to share a review of what you have read, if and how you enjoyed it, and if you would recommend that book to a friend! Oh and a story or two of how you came to own or stumbled upon the book would also be fun...because the human connection to a book is just as important! Since books are for everyone, let's all enjoy them, once again!
The What Did You Read This Month? Book Review Link-y will start on the first Wednesday of each month!
Which means it will be a month long opportunity to be a part of the fun. It is hosted by yours truly at Scratch Made Food! & DIY Homemade Household along with Estelle at Homemade On A Weeknight! After linking up your own review, do be sure to take a look at some of the other reviews that were shared. Because you just might find your next good read...plus it is a lot of fun to support other readers. Reading, like travel is the one area where you can (and will) spend money, only to be so much richer for doing so!
Why am I happy to be a part of this monthly event?
Let's see, reading has always been important t me. And something I have always enjoyed. First as a child visiting the library each week (hello Little House books!), then as a parent and later a grandparent (Good Night Moon!) and always as a cook in my own kitchen. Cookbooks in particular have played a large part in recipe development and as a means to widen my own somewhat limited food horizons! While I might not get to Spain or Germany on a vacation, through a recipe, I can cook the foods enjoyed there! Books have even helped me, teach myself to knit! Books are often my first resource for most things, such as how fix a leaking pipe, or even plant a garden.
Turns out, books have always been a part of my life's journey!
Welcome to the What Did You Read This Month Book Review Link-up for: August 2026
What am I sharing this month?
The Blue Zones of Happiness.
Lessons From the Worlds Happiness People.
By: Dan Buettner
Copyright by Dan Buettner
Published by National Geographic Partners LLC
This book is a checklist of three countries and the folks that live there. While it does not contain a list from each of the countries in the documentary, it had what I was looking for, signs of happiness. Why would I want that? After 71 years here on earth, and working for 64 of them, in my home and later as an employee from the age of 15, I wasn't certain I could objectively see happiness in my own life. Wait, come again!?
A little about me, I had grown up in an environment of results being the point of doing anything. Unfortunately along the way I lost the ability to remember that I needed to round out the work I did each day with some relaxation or fun activity. Now retired somedays I look for more work to do (and trust me on a homestead there is always work to be done!) without thinking about doing something just for the fun of it.
But lets take a look at those last seven words from the above sentence. something just for the fun of it. "Just for" often indicates less than. Going forward with that idea, how we spend our time matters, but fun (apparently in lessons from my childhood) was valued as less important than productive work. As one of the oldest in the family I was called upon to lend a hand, often, each day. Unfortunately as the years went by, those same chores were not then handed down to the younger siblings when they could manage them. Which left me the responsible party and usually working.
Then matters were further complicated when my Dad passed away. I was 13 at the time and by the age of 15 I went to work full time. So the short version is, I never learned how to play. And honestly everyone needs to know how to play and have some time to play. This could be fishing, or playing bingo or other social games. But I can tell you what it is not, it is not more work. So I decided to find some way to quantify the enjoyment I do have in my life. And see if I had learned to have some fun, on my own, through the years.
Since I had enjoyed the Documentary a few years ago, when I came across the The Blue Zones Kitchen I knew I would enjoy owning the cookbook. Little did I know I would run into this book a month later! But I am glad I did. I have always used books to learn new things, and for a self-check guide when I want to see how I am really operating, not just thinking that everything is fine.
The Blue Zones of Happiness is set up in three parts, as outlined below. However like all books take what you need, when you need it, and return when you need more! Why? Because this book contains a lot of information, and I have no doubt it is good information. But when we use a book as a checklist, we need to do the personal work with honesty and a relaxed heart. Using what we need from the book, and go forward from there!
Part One, Blueprint for a Happier Life.
Chapter One, What is Happiness?
Chapter Two, What We Know About Happiness.
Part Two, The World's Happiest Places.
Chapter Three, Happiness in Costa Rica.
Chapter Four, Happiness in Denmark.
Chapter Five, Happiness in Singapore.
Chapter Six, Lessons for Leaders.
Part Three, Happier by Design.
Chapter Seven, Designing Happier Communities.
Chapter Eight, Designing the Workplace.
Chapter Nine, Designing Your Social Network.
Chapter Ten, Designing Your Home.
Chapter Eleven, Designing Financial Well Being.
Chapter Twelve, Designing Your Inner Life.
Conclusion: The Power 9 of Happiness.
I was happy to see that I had developed a few habits also found in the book! So even with being super busy for almost all of my life, I have done OK in the happiness department. Of course I do plan on an expansion of happiness plan!
Here are a few on my list:
From the Costa Rica List.
Establish a Weekly Family Ritual, we gather for shared dinner and a movie on Thursday nights.
I Practice my Faith.
Embrace Generosity. Our whole neighborhood is there to help each other. I do enjoy being a part of that level of connectedness.
From the Denmark List.
Avoid the Status Trap. I am an avowed frugal DIY kind of person. It brings me a great deal of satisfaction to do it myself! While using what I already have.
Eat Quality Not Quantity. I found this one interesting! Quality, always. Quantity as needed, for the last few years now.
Plan Purchases, Savor Shopping. I have never shopped as a hobby. But as the years have gone by, more and more, I window shop for awhile before the decision to purchase.
From the Singapore List.
Live Your Values. Imagine not being able to view yourself in the mirror and feel confident you are living the right way!
Find Your Tribe. This is very important, your tribe is where you feel confident, being you.
In conclusion, do you use books as a checklist to see how much you have learned or how far you have come in reaching a goal?
My pick from last months What Did You Read This Month Linky?
And now meet your librarians.
Important Update! This week we are being joined by Crystal from Sharing Life's Moments. Please join us in giving her a friendly welcome aboard!
Meet your book review crew AKA The Librarians!
Party Guidelines:
1. Please take some time to poke around and visit some of the other links.
2. Please take some time to check out your hosts and co-hosts on social media.
3. We appreciate the variety of blogs on the www; however, the What Did You Read This Month? Book Review Linky is for links related to Books. Please link accordingly.
4. All Captions need to be Family-Friendly and PG rated. If your post has EXPLICIT content, you must indicate that in the caption. If you DO NOT, DO THIS your link will be removed.
5. You may now add unlimited reviews!
With your help, we can continue to grow the What Did You Read This Month? Book Review Linky Party! To all who link and share, a big THANK YOU! And welcome back!
By joining the What Did You Read This Month? Book Review Linky, you signify permission for the listed Hosts to share your posts and images here and receive an email reminder when our next What Did You Read This Month? Book Review Linky is LIVE.
And with that. I let's get linking! On to the What Did You Read This Month? Book Review Linky.

Thanks for sharing with us, and thanks for being a part of the fun!
I too grew up at a time when it was important to accomplish something and no one put much emphasis on having fun. I never really thought about it but while reading your review, I realized that although I do travel and have a lot of family dinners, I need a purpose for everything I do and don't value just having fun!! I have a friend who finds fun in everything and is silly and sometimes I admire that. I realize I have never been "silly" - It would have really been frowned upon when I was growing up. Nice post and looks like a good book.
ReplyDelete