How about you, do you live in a hot and humid climate? Do your potatoes sprout out in a week's time? Come and take a look at how I prep ahead the potatoes that come into this kitchen to reduce waste.
We are a potato eating family!
And in all honesty I believe I have said more than once, that I have never met a potato I didn't like! It must be the Irish in me, because while I enjoy pasta, I love potatoes. I also happen to live in East Texas where the everyday heat is hard on my spuds...with no root cellar like I have had in the past, I had to change how I store potatoes. And by store, I mean cook and put in the fridge or freezer because even my Cold Storage Pot, did not work long term in this hot and humid climate.
I had already begun putting packages of
cooked brown rice in the freezer, along with cooked barley. In ready to pull, thaw and serve portions for our little family. When it dawned on me, so, why not potatoes? I do have to say it is really nice to go out to the freezer after my morning walk and feeding the chickens to get meat and a cooked side dish out for dinner. All I have to worry about is how to cook the meat and which vegetable to serve with dinner. And if I am really on my game, I can usually find some way for hubby to grill the meat outside....
I should also explain that for some reason in our part of Texas
organic potatoes are a bit hard to find. Often my favorite H.E.B. market has an empty organic section right where the potatoes are meant to be found, when we go shopping. Giving yet another reason why cooking and freezing potatoes is a good use of my prep time in the kitchen! I like to have both russet potatoes as well as the small waxy style yellow potatoes as part of our meals. Both potatoes do a great job of making mashed potatoes. Let's start with...
Russet Potatoes:
I usually take the easy way out with russets, especially when I can find a bag with a couple of larger potatoes that are served as a baked potato. Organic bakers are hard to find, but I love opening the bag of potatoes to find at least two that can be served as a baked potato. From there I microwave all the russet potatoes. The larger ones are served as a baked potato and the smaller ones are made into hash browns by my hubby for breakfast or Quick and Easy Pan Fried Chips. After microwaving the russet potatoes, they are stored in the fridge until needed. I will also use russet potatoes to make Mashed Potatoes and Carrots (see below).
Small Yellow Potatoes:
Remove from the oven, let cool then transfer to storage bags and freeze. My husband keeps a bag of these in the freezer in the Tiny House, he loves frying some up for his breakfast.
Anther favorite is Mashed Potatoes and Carrots which can be made with either russet potatoes or the small yellow potatoes. And I have made them with both types of potatoes and they are delicious with either type. Why carrots with the potatoes? Turns out, we were not eating many carrots. Which are very good for you. Don't ask me why, but I just didn't think of cooking carrots that often. So I though, why not cook and mash carrots and potatoes together, and it turns out, we love this combo.
Basically you cook potatoes for mashed potatoes, but also use about half weight of carrots along with the potatoes. Oh and put the carrots in the bottom of the pan, because often they take a bit longer to cook than potatoes do. After they are cooked, add a knob of butter, and some milk and mash away. I prefer to leave them a bit rustic, but mash them as you will want to enjoy them.
Package for the freezer and freeze until needed. And again, potatoes water a bit when thawed, but I am happy to report that the water is taken up when these mashed potatoes are heated to be served.
How about you, do you have a family favorite way to freeze potatoes?
#wholefoodingredients
#scratchmadefoodforyourfamily
Thanks
for stopping by!
We
offer new and delicious recipes as well as DIY ideas for your home, regularly.
Feel free to drop us an email request for any question or recipe you may be
looking for. In addition, like all our guests, we invite you to come for a
visit again and again for new recipes, and my down-home take on frugal ways to
keep your home in tip top shape.
Hey
you, don’t miss a post! Please consider following Scratch Made Food! & DIY
Homemade Household. To follow by email, and/or by RSS feed, complete the
application located on the right-hand side of the blog. Please Note,
some posts may contain affiliate links, thank you for supporting Scratch
Made Food! & DIY Homemade Household.
PS,
friends, and family who love good food and household ideas might love us too!
Tell them about us, and thanks for the referral!
You
may also enjoy, Creative
writing From the Heart... stories of life, living, and family.
Now, From the Heart Vol II can be found here.
Scratch
Made Food! & DIY Homemade Household proudly shares with these generous link
parties featured here.







We are a potato eating family too and have them for most meals in one way or another.
ReplyDeleteI have never got the hang of cooking exactly the right amount of mashed potato that we need so I always have a couple of tubs stored in the freezer which come in handy when I have a can't be bothered day.
Thank you so much for this post. I had not thought of cooking and freezing potatoes. Also, combining carrots and potatoes. I'm planning to make this for pot luck at church. Maybe I'll add some parsley to serve.
ReplyDelete