Hello Dear Reader!
It doesn't happen often, but currently we are not at home. The entire family made the decision to get away on a last minute vacay! Our last time off the property was two years ago, so it really was time. I have gone ahead and prepared a few ideas and recipes for you to visit. Along with a bit of about me thrown in for good measure! For instance...
Some of my favorite posts, are not your favorites (and it's OK!).
And while I (like every other blogger out in blogland) hope to capture your interest in a posted recipe or DIY idea, often times they just get missed. As I am sure I have missed some of yours! One way to stay on top of blogging as a participant is to, visit other blogs. Not only is it fun to see what is happening in their corner of blogland, but supporting other bloggers is one of my favorite things to do. And I have found bloggers to be a very friendly group! Which is one reason I offer a new blogger for you to consider visiting, when you come to The Senior Salon Pit Stop link-up. As well as the blogger of the week offered at Weekend Traffic Jam Reboot. I keep a spreadsheet on those blogs already featured, which is helpful for me to avoid a repeat or to accidently leave anyone out!
I tend to enjoy easy to make recipes.
For a very specific reason. I grew up in a household where every meal was made at home. Thinking back about the only convenience foods purchased at the store were bread and lunchmeat. From time to time Mom would purchase a package of Rice-A-Roni for our Sunday dinner. Food placed on our table was not fancy, even though it had tons of flavor, was made from scratch, and followed a set pattern. For instance, a roast of any kind whether it was beef, pork or chicken always included mashed potatoes because there was always gravy! Any main dish with no gravy (think meatloaf or pork chops) came with baked potatoes or scalloped potatoes. Often when Grandmother visited there would be Creamed Potatoes and Peas! All of this is easy to make, not fancy and follows a pattern of cooking with what you have. And like many, I followed the ways of my Mom and especially my Grandmother when I was in charge of my own kitchen. Including desserts. We always had dessert for Sunday dinner, but rarely during the week. Grandmother taught me how to bake pie. I used to stand at the corner of the kitchen table as she worked. She would tell me small snippets of information, enough info that I knew it was important, but not enough to confuse me! I am sharing her Apple Pie Recipe. As I remember it from our times together.
My Grandmother's Apple Pie is found in this post,
The only place that meal planned, was the school cafeteria!
Which was great fun to read the menu for the week! Sometimes I could talk my way into hot lunch at school that day. And in all honesty even there, a pattern was followed. The chili was always served with corn bread and a fruit salad. Sandwiches (made on a hamburger bun, and usually called a Space Ship Sub!) were served with carrot and celery sticks, potato salad and fruit. Again it was healthy food, served fresh, with ingredients that were easy to order from the supplier. Pizza was rare, and a special treat that had almost all the kids eating lunch in the cafeteria that day. Cake and cookies were not on the menu. But from time to time the PTA group would have a cupcake sale to raise funds. Cupcakes were baked by the moms in PTA, and brought to school and sold for ten cents!
My Mom did bake bread. But not all the time.
She would from time to time get a batch of dough going and we would have fresh bread for dinner! This would happen when she purchased bread at the store and it turned out to be of poor quality. This might be why I am such a advocate of bread baking. High quality bread is the base for any meal from breakfast to dinner. And has carried families from time to time through any financial crisis for decades! Bean soup and a slice of buttered bread has been dinner on more than one occasion for many and with a full tummy, sleep always comes easier. Even with all the work here on our little homestead, I still bake bread for my grandson. It is a routine that is calming and keeps me grounded in what is important to me. Good food for my family, made with fresh healthy ingredients, and served with love and pride...
Some of my favorite recipes!
And now...
Did you know that I have a homestead page that I try to update on a regular basis to show what we are working on, including the good, the bad, and everything else? We are by no means experts, and in all honesty a lot of the fun of having your own place, is learning as you go! You may find that page here: at Welcome to Our Homestead.
I also from time to time let my thoughts flow on a page I have, titled From the Heart Vol II August 2025. Prior to August 2025, those musings were posted at From the Heart Stories...from 2020 through 2025. I have talked about many things on these two pages from my ick factor in buttering baking pans as a child to thoughts about my Dad. Creative writing has been a new and brave hobby for me to enjoy. Because growing up, I was always that big girl in the back...
And for all other bloggers, I offer a page of additional link-up opportunities besides the two that I host and participate in. You may find that information at Sharing With Others! Link-up and Blog Hop List. I update this list frequently for new additions or when a link-up ends. If you know of any I have missed, please let me know about them!
But none of this would be of any value without you the reader! When it is all said and done at the end of the day, you are the reason I blog! I enjoy every friend I have ever made through blogging and simply want to say, thank you. And thank you for visiting Scratch Made Food! & DIY Homemade Household, you literally make my day!
#wholefoodingredients
#scratchmadefoodforyourfamily
#eatmorevegetables!
#DIYHomemadeHousehold
#WholeWheatThat’sGoodToEat!
#ourfamilylegacyofcooking!
Thanks
for stopping by!
We
offer new and delicious recipes as well as DIY ideas for your home, regularly.
Feel free to drop us an email request for any question or recipe you may be
looking for. In addition, like all our guests, we invite you to come for a
visit again and again for new recipes, and my down-home take on frugal ways to
keep your home in tip top shape.
Hey
you, don’t miss a post! Please consider following Scratch Made Food! & DIY
Homemade Household. To follow by email, and/or by RSS feed, complete the
application located on the right-hand side of the blog. Please Note,
some posts may contain affiliate links, thank you for supporting Scratch
Made Food! & DIY Homemade Household.
PS,
friends, and family who love good food and household ideas might love us too!
Tell them about us, and thanks for the referral!
Scratch
Made Food! & DIY Homemade Household proudly shares with these generous link
parties featured here.